- Do full loads of laundry-conventional washing machines can use up to 40 gallons of water per wash ( oops!)
- use a cold rinse since this saves on energy and will lower greenhouse emissions.
- Line dry if possible or invest in a drying rack instead of a carbon emitting dryer.
When choosing a laundry detergent:
- Pick a detergent that lists all the ingredients
- Choose fragrance-free-the perfumes used to scent them might contaminate drinking water.
- Purchase detergents that is 2-3 times concentrated. ( I do this currently-woo hoo!) This saves energy, packaging, and cost.
- Buy detergents that are formulated to perform in cold water.
So it looks like I have some work to do! Maybe I should just buy duplicates of my favorite items of clothes!! Sound good to me! Do you have any tips to share about greening up your laundry procedures? I would love to hear about them!
For the full article please click here