Friday, August 7, 2009

News You Can Use...."Green Laundry"


I will be the first to admit that I might call 4 times a "load" of laundry. That' s not a real load and it is very wasteful, sometimes you only need 4 things clean..am I right?!?! Even so it's something I am currently working on. I came across an article in Well Being Journal the other day that gave same useful tips on "Green" Laundry. Here are a few from the article:


  • Do full loads of laundry-conventional washing machines can use up to 40 gallons of water per wash ( oops!)

  • use a cold rinse since this saves on energy and will lower greenhouse emissions.

  • Line dry if possible or invest in a drying rack instead of a carbon emitting dryer.

When choosing a laundry detergent:



  • Pick a detergent that lists all the ingredients

  • Choose fragrance-free-the perfumes used to scent them might contaminate drinking water.

  • Purchase detergents that is 2-3 times concentrated. ( I do this currently-woo hoo!) This saves energy, packaging, and cost.

  • Buy detergents that are formulated to perform in cold water.


So it looks like I have some work to do! Maybe I should just buy duplicates of my favorite items of clothes!! Sound good to me! Do you have any tips to share about greening up your laundry procedures? I would love to hear about them!
For the full article please click here


No comments: