Friday, September 25, 2009

News you can use....Gear up for flu season!


There has been much speculation that this fall and winter could bring more severe illness related to the flu. GREAT. That is the one thing I am not looking forward to now that Amara is in school 5 times a week. She attended pre school twice a week and had flu like symptoms a few times last winter. Not fun.
Everyone can take measures to avoid getting sick this winter though. Getting a flu shot is recommended and also remind your household to to the following:
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Or into the crook of your elbow.

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water.

  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth--germs are spread this way.

  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

  • If you are sick with a flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever subsides without the use of fever reducing medication.

I am kind of neurotic about hand washing, nose picking and all that jazz. Not an OCD ( yet), but I do not like seeing my kids sick. It makes me sad! I try to keep my kids as healthy as possibly through eating right, exercising and mental health as well. There is not much I can do about the kids they come in contact with on a day to day basis ( school), but I hope other parents are taking these same precautions to keep their kids well.

No comments: