Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zucchini-Blueberry Muffins

I am on a muffin kick! The only thing I did differently is I added a banana. I also only used 1/8 of both of the sugars. I think the banana made up for my reduced sugar strategy. Come to think of it I omitted the 1/4 c sugar by accident-oops! I also used 2 handfuls of blueberries ( a bit more than the 1/3 cup called for) They were really good. I liked these better than my last effort too. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the extra banana and blueberries, but this recipe made 15 muffins, not 12.

SERVES 12 , 12 muffins
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups shredded
zucchini (about 1/2 of one large zucchini)
1/2 cup
applesauce
1/4 cup
old fashioned oats
1/2 cup
white flour
3/4 cup
whole wheat flour
1
egg
1/4 cup
white sugar, plus
1/8 cup
white sugar
1/8 cup
brown sugar
2 teaspoons
lemon juice or lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon
baking powder
1/2 teaspoon
baking soda
1/2 teaspoon
salt
1 teaspoon
cinnamon
1 dash
vanilla
1/3 cup
blueberries
Directions
1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease a muffin pan with pam.
2Combine zucchini, applesauce, oats, flours, egg, sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl (use a spatula to mix, it will make things easier).
3Let this mixture sit for about 15 minutes.
4In the meantime, mix together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
5Fold this into the first mixture.
6Stir in blueberries and add a dash of vanilla.
7Scoop the batter into muffin pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.
8Bake for approximately 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
9*You can also double the recipe and still make only twelve, to make larger, heartier muffins.

No comments: