Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Educational TV for kids



My kids pediatrician says not to watch TV or play the computer for over 2 hours a day for my kids. I would like to say that I wish I abated by these rules all the time, but I don't. I admit it. We have gotten a lot better especially since Amara's Doc asks her how much TV she watches! She tells the truth! I try to do 1 half hour program in the morning and then the kids eat breakfast and I turn the radio/TV ( not videos) on while they eat and then it's still on afterwards.


The same goes for lunch time and dinner. Now that Amara is in school and Miles naps during that time, the TV is rarely on for that 3 hours.


It's after school that I am dealing with. The kids get one 30 minute show when Amara gets home and then I try to turn it off. I say try because it's usually around dinner time then and I am in the kitchen and they both want attention. Coloring gets old and Amara can sometimes have enough of her little brother! It's not everyday that I give in to the idiot box, but on some days it just seems unavoidable!


I came across an article in Children's Health Magazine called
"Grading the TV Teachers".


The Top picks were:

Sesame Street

Beakman's World

Between the Lions

3-2-1 Penguins!

Cyberchase

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

Fetch! with Ruffman, and Teen Kids News

What to avoid:

Curious George

The Replacements

That's So Raven





The kids don't watch any of these shows except for Sesame Street! I have only heard of a few of the others.





No comments: