Saturday, November 28, 2009

News You Can Use....Raisins for energy


High energy gels are very popular as pre-exercise energy boosters. The products are high in simple carbs, convenient and fit easily in a gym bag or pocket. They are also expensive! I use them when I run and they range from $1.29- $1.59 depending on the brand or any sales. This can add up quickly when I start running higher mileage and need more fuel. A San Diego State University study showed that raisins had the same effect as an energy gel for increasing blood sugar and preventing fatigue during endurance exercise.
No difference between the comparison of the gels and raisins existed in the performance test, blood sugar, insulin, lactate or blood fats. Raisins are an inexpensive pre-exercise carbohydrate source and work as well as commercial gel-packs.
I have yet to try this out, but i might! I am so used to doing what I do ( gels and sport beans) that I am not sure I am ready to let go of my already formed habits.
I thought it was an interesting study nonetheless!

No comments: