Friday, November 14, 2008

Cookies!!




I made the chocolate chip cookies on Thursday and let me tell you, they did not disappoint! I think the only reason I thought they would be good was because Oprah said so. Otherwise I am not sure I would have even made them. Who wants a chocolate chip cookie that has a big 15oz can of garbanzo beans?!?! You could not taste, see or smell them in the cookies. Well, I take that back..every once in a while I did get a piece of bean "skin", but that was the only evidence that they were even included in the recipe.
I would not go as far as to say these are a totally healthy dessert, but it is a healthier version of the standard chocolate chip cookie and a healthier alternative. It's all about finding a balance. There are not many cookies that are full of fiber and protein and actually taste good. The recipe also includes trans-free tub butter spread alternative. The jury is still out on this. I have read that real butter is the healthiest thing to use as the fake stuff is compared to the actual plastic container it comes in.
Next time I might try real butter or even using a fruit puree instead. I might add some cocoa powder and use a white flour-whole wheat flour mixture.
I will definitely be making these again.
I will include the actual recipe this time!


Recipe by Jessica Seinfeld - Deceptively Delicious
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup trans-fat free soft tub margarine spread
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (15 - ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
2 Cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cups raisins (optional)
2 cups all-purpose flour1
teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, walnuts and raisins (if wanted,) and mix on a low speed until a thick dough forms.Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not over bake. Transfer to a rack to cool.Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
As a side note: I know there are a lot of moms that read this blog ( I think so anyway!) Here is a link to an awesome blog that is offering a cool free Christmas Giveaway from V-Tech.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I LOVE your blog, it is really great and will help a ton of mothers learn how to be healthy in a "drive thru world." I will have to give my sister-in-laws and girlfriends your blog site:) However, it also helps non-mothers too (like me:) Thanks for the recipe...I will try it when I get home. Hope all is well and thanks for the nice notes you send me...I love them!

MarciaG said...

Hi Mary! Thanks!
I hope you are enjoying Asia and all the amazing food they have. You are doing such a great thing there and are enriching your life and touching so many othere lives in so many ways! Be safe and I am sure there is a party in store after your return! ( no worms this time ok!?!? ) :)