Friday, September 19, 2008

Not bad

I ended up making my turkey meat loaf about an hour ago. It looks interseting to say the least. I got the recipe out of a book called Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding. I am positive I gained weight while following the guidelines of this book. Not sure how that heppened, but it did. So I do not recommend this book for weight loss at all!
Ok, here's the recipe:
Vegetable Meat Loaf
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 cupes finely grated vegetables any combination ( carrots, zucchine, carrots, mushrooms, green beans, bell peppers, onions)
1 cup crushed crackers, unsweetened flake cereal or bread crumbs
salt and pepper
1 egg
Preheat oven to 350*. Mix all ingrediants in a bowl until they are well blended. Press into a 8-inch by 4- inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Serves 4.

I went to the grocery store today to buy my veggies. I went to the produce section because I know that a lot of the stuff will be marked down since a new sale starts on Sunday. I was able to get some organic yellow carrots for $1.50 and organic bell peppers for dirt cheap. I also bought some organic baby greens for less than $1.

I followed the instructions for the most part. I used lean ground turkey. I advise against using extra lean ground turkey unless you are a fan of dry meat. Although, the veggies might bring enough mositure to the loaf--I just thought of that-dangit! But we all need some fat in our diet so, whatever. I choose to use itlalian bread crumbs instead of cereal-that just seems weird. For the veggies I used yellow baby carrots, orange baby carrots, green bell pepper, onions and baby greens. I just piled a bunch in the food processor until I had a little over 2 cups. It actually turned out nicely. It looks kind of like confetti when you slice it. It counts as 1 serving of vegetables too. I ate a little piece, and it is moist enough so I might not need to use ketchup. I am sure Amara and Matt will though.

I used to cook all the time and I think I might start doing it more often. Maybe.

No comments: